2012 WFTDA All Star Game – by Dave Wood
Photographer extraordinaire & derby fanatic Dave Wood of Dave Wood Photography sent this article to us today, and I believe it’s worth a read:
2012 WFTDA All Star Game
This needs to happen.
I’ve been lucky enough to be an in-person witness to all three of the public Team USA scrimmages that have taken place to date. Each one has been an absolute treat to watch and I absolutely love Team USA. We need more all-star roller derby! The good news is that there’s already a time on the calendar where many of the best players in the WFTDA will be in the same place: The 2012 WFTDA Championship Tournament. The final Sunday of the Big 5 is typically a slow day with only two games on the schedule. Why not move those games up by two hours and add an all-star game after the championship? Sure, it might be somewhat anti-climactic for the championship-winning team, but for everyone else, it would be 60 minutes of bonus awesomeness.
It would be easy to say that it’s too late to make this happen for 2012, but I disagree. Here’s how I think it could work:
- Two teams: East/North Central vs. West/South Central
- Each WFTDA member league submits up to 6 of its players as nominees for the team. Teams are strongly encouraged to submit only their most elite players. Very few teams would be justified in submitting 6 players. Many teams should realistically have none.
- Cut off nomination submissions on August 1st.
- Each league gets one 20-player vote. You can’t vote for players in your own league. Each of the 20 players selected by each league gets one vote.
- Cut off voting on September 1st.
- The players receiving the top 14 votes from each 2-region team are declared the “1st Team” all-stars. The next 14 are declared the “2nd Team” all-stars.
- 1st Team players have until October 14th (one week after regionals) to commit to coming to Atlanta. Any open spots will be filled by the 2nd Team players with the highest number of votes.
- Coaches for the all-star game would be taken from the four #1 seeds coming out of regionals (one coach from each team).
- All-Star games takes place on November 4, 2012, immediately following the 2012 WFTDA championship game.
NOTE: I don’t for a moment think I’m the first person to think of this. I know it’s been discussed…I just don’t know how seriously. My goal in writing this proposal is to start a serious discussion that might result in making this happen.